home • bio • company • education • performance • press • gallery • community links
World Dance Fusion’s mission is to promote cultural awareness and understanding through dance.
Artistic Director Katy Alaniz Rous started the company in 1995 as a teaching, training and performing group. Equally important, World Dance Fusion became a vehicle for telling innovative stories through dance. The Jewish Nutcracker, choreographed by Rous and now in its fourth year, is its first major production.
Rous, 35, has performed and taught classes and workshops from coast to coast and in more than a half dozen foreign countries. The nearly 30 cultural dances she performs — and perspective she has gained from dozens of disparate dance communities — give her unique credentials for her promotional goal.
Dance styles include the following
• Brazil: Afoxe (Orixa), Capoeira (Angola & Regional), Forro, Pagode, Samba, Samba Reggae
• Caribbean: Cuban Folkloric (Orisha Dances, Rumba), Merengue, Afro-Haitian Folkloric, Dunham Technique
• Central Asia: Afghani, Azerbaijani, Persian Classical, Tajik, Uzbek
• The Democratic Republic of Congo: Congolese
• East Asia: Chinese Folk and Classical, Mongolian, Tibetan
• Europe: Russian Character, Flamenco
• Ghana: Ghanaian
• Guinea: Djembe
• India: Bharatnatyam, Kathak, Odissi
• Middle East: Egyptian Cabaret Belly Dance, Turkish Romani
• United States: Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Hip-Hop, Contemporary